Weeks 7 & 8 ORC: Decorate & Reveal

The Struggle

In addition to having my own trepidations about m adding color to the walls, I also struggle with decor. See on this end, my problem is I have Hermes taste but working with a Target budget. Good thing I really like Target and Amazon!

If you’ve been following my Instagram stories and posts, then you know part of the plan for turning this space into a sanctuary also includes lighting and gentle decorations (SEE SKETCH HERE). I decided to have a single pendant light hanging over the repurposed cabinet -formerly used in my daughter’s renovated bathroom (See it HERE).

Of course that opens up yet another project here at Kholmes_InColor! Let me add that my daughter is so over me and these projects, but she gon be okay lol! Anyway let’s get into the deets.

The Light

Ever been scrolling through instagram and see where people have “shop my feed/post”? You hit the link to their shop and see some astronomically priced pieces. Yep, me too and THIS REEL sums up those feelings.

In my pendant light search, I stumbled across this Better Homes & Gardens light online. Here’s The Link to shop what I considered an affordable light.

My design included having a light where there was not previously one on this slanted ceiling. To achieve this, I added battery operated lighting. Since this isn’t the room’s main light source, having a battery operated light would be sufficient simply for the purpose of added ambiance.


The Reveal

Because we’re lacking in storage, and because the goal was to repurpose as much as I could, the vanity from my daughter’s bathroom was used for more storage space. After removing the sink, the same plywood used to make the window seat was also used to make a countertop. With my Kregjig pocket hole maker, I was able to attach two scrap pieces of plywood together.


I stained the top with Minwax stain, and finished it off with a polyurethane clear gloss coat.


And how were the edges of the countertop addressed? That was wrapped in edge banding and stained the same color as the countertop.


Using my Ryobi brad nailer, the countertop was attached to the top base of the cabinet.


And Now…

We bring it all together with the first part of Lé Sanctuary completed. We now have added storage as well as a spot to sit and relax. Time didn’t allow for a few more design elements to be added, but the biggest piece has been completed! Stay tuned as 𝗟𝗲́ 𝗦𝗮𝗻𝗰𝘁𝘂𝗮𝗿𝘆 continues to be built out.

Shop the links here…

#block-yui_3_17_2_1_1654126505895_11819 .sqs-gallery-block-grid .sqs-gallery-design-grid { margin-right: -20px; }
#block-yui_3_17_2_1_1654126505895_11819 .sqs-gallery-block-grid .sqs-gallery-design-grid-slide .margin-wrapper { margin-right: 20px; margin-bottom: 20px; }